Wages are automatically paid to your troops every 168 hours (seven days). If you do not have enough money to pay, you will incur a debt and your party will lose morale. You will attempt to pay off any debt the next time you pay your troops, if you still don't have enough, your debt may increase and your party will lose morale again.
Base wages are paid by each troop's level, it is then further calculated depending on several factors.
- Mercenaries are paid 200% of base wages (raised from 166% before 3.9)
- Mounted troops are paid 166% of base wages
- Ranged troops above level 30 are paid 133% of base wages
- Companions are paid 300% of base wages
- Wages for troops in a garrison or resting are cut by 50% (same effect as with 10 leadership, but on a garrison they won't drop morale periodically)
- Every level of Leadership reduces wages by 5%
Note that mounted mercenaries receive both mounted wages and mercenary wages, making them even more expensive than a hero of the same level. Same applies when combining mercenary status with ranged over level 30 status, the bonuses accumulate. Unlike Native, giving a companion a horse does increase their wages.
The following is a table of base wages up to level 60. This means only heroes can reach the higher numbers. Theoretically, there is no level cap, but an overflow glitch occurs after level 62. Therefore it is unlikely a companion would be leveled much higher than 60.